Thursday 2 July 2020

COVID-19 deaths of people with learning disabilities in England: a quick update

Summary

  • This blogpost updates information on the number of people with learning disabilities in England who have died of COVID-19, up to 30th June 2020.
  • At least 620 people with learning disabilities have died of COVID-19 in England.
  • The number of people with learning disabilities dying of COVID-19 is now around 5 people every week. For two weeks in April it was over 100 people every week.
  • People with learning disabilities might still be more likely to die of COVID-19 than other people.

Because I haven't provided updates on the weekly information about the deaths of people with learning disabilities from COVID-19 since this long blogpost, this post is just a quick update of the numbers with little commentary. An excellent easyread summary of the information on COVID-19 deaths and people with learning disabilities has been produced by Bradford Talking Media (BTM). 

The graph below shows weekly information from the LeDeR programme, which is likely to be the best source of information we have on the deaths of people with learning disabilities in England (although it is unlikely to be complete). The red columns show the number of people who have died of suspected or confirmed COVID-19, and the blue columns show the number of people who have died of other causes. 

LeDeR reports that in 2020 up to 26th June, 620 people with learning disabilities have died of COVID-19, and 910 people have died of other causes. The number of people dying of COVID-19 has been running at 5-10 people per week (the numbers are rounded  to the nearest 5) for the last three weeks. The number of people dying of other causes has been running at 30-40 people per week for the last 5 weeks.



There is also weekly information on the confirmed COVID-19 deaths in hospitals of people flagged as a person with learning disabilities or an autistic person. In theory this database, unlike LeDeR data, includes autistic people without learning disabilities, but it only includes people who died in hospital and who were confirmed as having COVID-19. 

The graph below shows this information for the chunk of time 24th March-12th May (when the data were first made public), and then for every week after that up to 30th June 2020. This dataset reports that at least 512 people with learning disabilities and autistic people have died in hospital with confirmed COVID-19. For the last three weeks, this dataset has recorded 3 deaths per week of people with learning disabilities and/or autistic people. 


This dataset also reports the total number of people who have died confirmed COVID-19 deaths in hospital, where flagging information (is the person a person with learning disabilities, an autistic person, or not) exists. From 24th March to 12th May (around the peak of the pandemic), 2.5% of everyone dying in hospital of confirmed COVID-19 was a person flagged as a person with learning disabilities or an autistic person. I tried to argue in the long blogpost that this meant a COVID death rate 4 to 5 times higher for people with learning disabilities and autistic people compared to others. After the (first) peak of the pandemic, from 13th May to 30th June, this has dropped to 1.5%, which is still a death rate 2 to 3 times higher.

The last graph below is a bit experimental, trying to show the cumulative picture of COVID-19 and non COVID-19 deaths over time from the LeDeR and NHSE datasets. This is just a different way of showing the same information in the graphs above that some people might find useful.



Overall, it is a relief that the number of people with learning disabilities (and potentially some autistic people, although I'm not convinced how many autistic people without learning disabilities would be included in any of these figures) dying COVID-19 deaths (and to a lesser extent non COVID-19 deaths) has dropped substantially from the (first) peak of the pandemic. It does still look like COVID-19 death rates might be higher for people with learning disabilities than for other people.

This is no time for complacency, though, and part of preparing for any second COVID-19 wave urgently needs to include:

1) Regular, honest, accessible information produced by the government on these numbers and what they mean. Beyond a single press release, NHSE (which publishes the LeDeR data and the confirmed COVID-19 hospital data) has produced nothing at all to describe or explain this information and certainly nothing in easy read (which the CQC did do when discussing their data release). This would help people with learning disabilities and those around them understand and think through their options when it comes to risk and COVID-19.

 2) Some analysis of information they already have to help work out the circumstances in which people with learning disabilities are most at risk of dying from COVID-19. For both the LeDeR and NHSE hospital data, analysis by age band, sex and ethnicity should all be relatively straightforward. From the LeDeR data, an analysis of deaths by where people live (both regionally and also by what kind of place people were living in) is possible and urgently needed. From the NHSE hospital data, they could easily analyse how many people with learning disabilities and autistic people who died confirmed COVID-19 deaths had health conditions linked to higher COVID-19 risk (particularly diabetes, dementia, chronic kidney disease, chronic pulmonary disease and heart disease). 

It is beyond me why these analyses were not done and shared at least two months ago, in ways that people can use.






6 comments:

  1. DON'T BELIEVE THERE IS A CURE FOR HERPES? Well here is my testimony about a doctor who helped me when I was infected with HERPES on September 22, 2014, I went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution so that my body can be okay. One day I was online and i saw the testimony of Mrs Amy Kendral speaking on how a man called Dr Razor helped her Eradicate the Herpes Simplex Infection that was eating her up every day, I Immediately emailed the Herbal Doctor Razor with the Details provided by This Woman on how to reach Him and I explained everything to him. Dr Razor told me all the things I needed to do and also gave me instructions to take a wish I followed properly. Before I knew what was happening after 18 days of taking the medication I started having changes in my body, so i told the herbalist of the development in my health and he asked me to go for a medical check up, the Doctors There were Amazed that Herpes have a Permanent and complete cure. Visit Doctor Razor's Website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . You can Reach him on his Email via drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com . WhatsApp/Call him on +2349065420442. I made sure the Virus wasn't laying dormant in my nerve cells because I have heard of a situation like that. Before deciding to write this testimony so that many who are Battling with different kinds of Challenges Can also get cured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s obvious some patients with herpes are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2015 until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr Olori Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from genital Herpes. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promised to keep telling good things about Dr Olori. Please feel free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on mail droloriherbalcentergmail.com He deals with Alzheimer virus, Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Genital, warts, ALS, BV, UTI, Virginal infection, Genital, Wart, HPV, Hepatitis A/B, Good luck, HSV, Pregnancy, Ex back.  
      Call +2348110492548

      Delete
  2. Please share as you read okay you may save a soul today, natural herbs
    are really great, I was cured from HSV by a doctor called DR Okiti from West Africa, now I believe that natural herbs and roots has their own way of working, based on medical report I was told that HSV has no cure even when I saw a post about Dr Okiti how he cured many people with his herbal medicine I doubted it at first but just decided to give it a try because I was so desperately trying to get rid of my problems not knowing it was going to be the end of this deadly virus in my body, please if you have anyone with this same virus or diseases like this contact Dr Okiti via email drokitiherbalhome100@gmail.com or whatsapp +234 705 067 0365. I'm a living testimony of his herbal medicine and don't forget to share as you read okay, please save a soul today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s obvious some patients with herpes are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2015 until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr Olori Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from genital Herpes. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promised to keep telling good things about Dr Olori. Please feel free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on mail droloriherbalcentergmail.com He deals with Alzheimer virus, Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Genital, warts, ALS, BV, UTI, Virginal infection, Genital, Wart, HPV, Hepatitis A/B, Good luck, HSV, Pregnancy, Ex back.  
    Call +2348110492548

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to share my happiness to the world on how i was cured from (HERPES VIRUS) by Dr Oseremen herbal , i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms, but i did not have that kind of money to buy the drugs.the one i used before did not cured me. on one faithful day, a friend of my in united kingdom told me about Dr Oseremen herbal, he told me that,it is the herbal treatment that cure is husband from hepatitis B and she told me that he have cure so many people from herpes virus with is herb medicine,then she told me to contact him that he we cure me with is herb . when i contacted Dr Oseremen, he gave me hope and say that i we be cure once i get his herbal, he send the Herbal medicine to me and i take it for two weeks and it seriously worked for me, i went to the hospital to check, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true, just contact him and get cure from Dr Oseremen healing herbs, he also have the herb to cure any kind of hepatitis B,C A. AND DIFFERENT KIND OF SICKNESS Remember delay in treatment leads to death.. contact Dr Oseremen on is email at (Dr.Oseremenvadi@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on is Number :+2349056394313 and he we cure you with is HEALING HERB MEDICINE , thanks to Dr  Oseremen for cure me is healing herbs medicine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gooday everybody. I want to talk about Dr ojamo the great herbal doctor everybody have been testifying about he is indeed a real herbal doctor, i was among the one's who was calling him scam untill my brother who was having herpes virus for 5 years use his medications and to my greatest suprise my brother called me that he was cured and tested (hsv2) negative, i was so shock!!, my brother was having herpes for 5 years and he has been on medications ever since he was tested positive to (HSV2), he said was browsing through the internet when he found a testimony of a lady call Teresa Mendoza testifying about this herbal doctor called Dr Ojamo. He contacted this Doc Email via, dr.ojamoherbalhome@gmail.com and the they negotiate the price of the herbs on whatsapp +2349077406037 and Dr Ojamo sent the herbs to my Brother through FedEx delivery service and the delivery takes 8days, and my brother use this herbs for just 21days and he was totally cured from this virus, am so happy!!! you can reach in on his email dr.ojamoherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349077406037

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.